Dr Pooky Knightsmith
A prolific keynote speaker, lecturer, trainer and author, Pooky develops and shares practical, evidence-informed approaches to promoting mental health – arming health, social care and education staff with the skills, understanding and knowledge they need to support the children in their care.
Kevin has taught for over 35 years in schools, university and FE and has been a Head Teacher as well as an improvement leader in a range of diverse settings. As Director of Education at Creative Education, Kevin has a large portfolio of courses and has run bespoke training for well over 500 schools and colleges.
Supporting Staff Wellbeing and Workload (9:30-10:30am)
We start the day by exploring simple, practical steps that can be taken to promote staff wellbeing and reduce workload.
- Practical strategies for promoting physical wellbeing
- Life work balance – simple steps to tip the balance
- Managing stress and anxiety
Enabling COVID Kids to Become Awesome Adults (11am-12pm)
We take a look at what our children and young people need right now, if they’re to thrive in the medium and long term.
- Enabling children to feel safe physically, socially, emotionally and cognitively
- Creating a sense of belonging and purpose
- How to be the adult children need right now
Kickstarting Teaching and Learning Post Lockdown (1-2pm)
We explore what teaching and learning needs to look like for the academic year 2020/21 and explore how we can best support learners to embrace the gear change ahead.
- Wake up your knowledge – getting students back into learning
- What matters most? Setting the tone for the terms ahead
- Getting back into the swing of teaching and embracing blended learning
Working in Partnership with Families (2:30-3:30pm)
We consider how we can most effectively work with families to enable our leaners to thrive in the classroom and beyond.
- How to effectively engage families in their children’s learning
- Creating shared and realistic expectations
- When it goes wrong; dealing with difficult situations
Leading your Setting Out of the Pandemic (4-5pm)
(Optional after school session for leaders)
Senior leaders come together for a guided discussion exploring some of the challenges and potential ways forwards for our settings.
- Creating a curriculum that works in the current context
- Enabling staff and students to cope and thrive
- What went well? What this situation has taught us, and how we can take that forwards