Why should I choose this course?
- It is a practical development programme, anchored in the day-to-day reality of running a department; there are no distracting, irrelevant assignments to complete.
- It follows a focused, logical sequence and blends instructional videos with live coaching sessions and an online forum, all led by experienced experts in the field; there is no unrealistic and unhelpful theory from academia, just real-life learning.
- It provides real tasks that will help you lead your subject team and improve your discipline; there are no formal essays to write or panel interviews to pass.
How is this course structured?
This is a 2-term programme in 4 parts:
- Develop yourself as a leader of science
- Lead and manage your team
- Audit and improve your curriculum and assessment practices
- Lead on pedagogical developments and improve outcomes for students
How is this course delivered?
This is a blended course that provides flexibility and support. You will get:
- Access to a network of science leads at a similar stage of development – get answers to all the questions you’re too afraid to ask in school.
- 5 live webinar sessions for coaching and mentoring, to ask questions of the course leader, and to share ideas and experiences with colleagues.
- 12 on-demand online courses, 3 per half term, designed specifically for you.
- Access to a library of additional on-demand courses, specially curated for you to help tailor the programme to meet your development needs.
What will the modules cover?
- Live webinar 1: An introduction to the programme
- Optional module: How to get your first subject leader role
Part 1: Develop yourself as a subject leader
- Module A: How to be a successful leader
- Module B: How to be a successful manager
- Module C: How to be an effective leader of science
- Live webinar 2
Part 2: Lead and manage a subject team
- Module A: How to manage people
- Module B: How to manage provision
- Module C: Ofsted and the ‘deep dive’ in science
- Live webinar 3
Part 1: Audit and improve your subject curriculum and assessment practices
- Module A: How to design an ambitious curriculum
- Module B: How to design an assessment system
- Module C: How to develop the science curriculum
- Live webinar 4
Part 2: Lead on pedagogical developments and improve outcomes for students
- Module A: How to engage in subject improvement planning and quality assurance
- Module B: How to lead teaching and learning
- Module C: How to develop effective pedagogies in science and track progress
- Live webinar 5