Why should I choose this course?
- It is a practical development programme, anchored in the day-to-day reality of running a year group or key stage; there are no distracting, irrelevant assignments to complete.
- It follows a focused, logical sequence and blends instructional videos with live coaching sessions and an online forum, all led by experienced experts in the field; there is no unrealistic and unhelpful theory from academia, just real-life learning.
- It provides real tasks that will help you lead your pastoral team; there are no formal essays to write or panel interviews to pass.
How is this course structured?
This is a 2-term programme in 4 parts:
- Develop yourself as a pastoral leader
- Lead and manage a tutor team
- Manage students’ behaviour and attendance
- Support students’ personal development and progression
How is this course delivered?
This is a blended course that provides flexibility and support. You will get:
- Access to a network of maths leads at a similar stage of development – get answers to all the questions you’re too afraid to ask in school.
- 5 live webinar sessions for coaching and mentoring, to ask questions of the course leader, and to share ideas and experiences with colleagues.
- 12 on-demand online courses, 3 per half term, designed specifically for you.
- Access to a library of additional on-demand courses, specially curated for you to help tailor the programme to meet your development needs.
What will the modules cover?
- Live webinar 1: An introduction to the programme
- Optional module: How to get your first pastoral leader role
Part 1: Develop yourself as a subject leader
- Module A: How to be a successful leader
- Module B: How to be a successful manager
- Module C: How to be an effective leader of…
- Module C1: How to be an effective leader of Year 7
- Module C2: How to be an effective leader of Key Stage 3
- Module C3: How to be an effective leader of Key Stage 4
- Module C4: How to be an effective Head of Sixth Form
Live webinar 2
Part 2: Lead and manage a tutor team
- Module A: How to lead a tutor team of staff you don’t line manage and make the most of tutor time
- Module B: How to work in partnership with parents and carers
- Module C: How to work in partnership with multi-agencies
- Live webinar 3
Part 1: Manage students’ behaviour and attendance
- Module A: How to lead assemblies / collective worship
- Module B: How to manage students’ behaviour and manage the rewards and sanctions process
- Module C: How to manage students’ attendance and punctuality
- Live webinar 4
Part 2: Support students’ personal development and progression
- Module A: How to lead on safeguarding and child protection
- Module B: How to support and track students’ wider personal development (linked to Ofsted judgment criteria)
- Module C1: Year 7 – How to manage the transition process and induction
- Module C2: Head of Key Stage 3 – How to help students avoid the ‘Year 8 dip’ and with GCSE options
- Module C3: Head of Key Stage 4 – How to support students with GCSE study and revision / P-16 options
- Module C4: Head of Sixth Form – How to support students with UCAS / progression
- Live webinar 5