This course starts by diving deeply into what the typical driving forces behind boys’ under achievement and how these might apply to your pupils. By understanding fully when achievement dips for boys and why, we’re in a strong position to develop sustainable strategies for closing the gap, enabling boys to thrive both within and beyond the classroom. During this course you’ll have a chance to develop, implement and measure the impact of a range of ideas adapted to meet the needs of the cohort you’re supporting.
- Engage with key stakeholders to carry out a 360º audit of your existing practice
- Explore a range of proven practical strategies
- Develop and implement a practical action plan
- Recognise and respond to challenges with implementation
- Chart success, share what’s worked well and learn from what hasn’t
- Understanding the under achievement of boys: what when and why
- Teaching & learning strategies that boost boys’ achievement
- Creating a positive culture where boys belong, thrive and try hard
- Using targeted early intervention to prevent under achievement of boys
Format & Content
This course takes place over a 4 month period during which you’ll be led through the live, on demand and project based learning by an expert lead. The course consists of three parts, with each part being made up of one live webinar, a series of on demand learning sessions and some assignments or projects for you to carry out in your school or college.
Part One: What are the Issues? Defining the Problem
You’ll audit your current provision and practice and really get to grips with understanding the nature of the need for change as well as taking some baseline measures from which you can chart your progress.
- On-Demand: Getting the views of stakeholders
- Task: Complete our audit tool
- Webinar: Share findings from audit tool and prepare for next stage
Part Two: Identifying the Solution
It’s only when we really understand what needs to improve that we can go about implementing relevant strategies that will result in sustainable change. In the context of what you’ve learnt about the strengths and challenges in your school and college, you’ll explore a range of proven strategies and consider how some of these may be adapted to meet your needs.
- On-Demand: Understanding the under achievement of boys: what when and why
- On-Demand: Teaching & learning strategies that boost boys’ achievement
- On-Demand: Creating a positive culture where boys belong, thrive and try hard
- On-Demand: Using targeted early intervention to prevent under achievement of boys’
- On-Demand: 6 Ideas in Brief
- On-Demand: Managing change and how to get people on board
- On Demand: Evaluating impact
- Webinar: Share what you plan to do
Part Three: Implementing and Evaluation
You’ll consider how you can measure success and then you’ll develop and begin to implement an action plan working towards short, medium and long term goals. You’ll consider carefully what obstacles and blockages you might encounter and how these might be overcome as well as exploring how to bring others along on the journey and how best to disseminate, replicate and roll out what works well.
- On-Demand: How to share and disseminate
- Task: Write a case study
- Webinar: Share successes and next steps