School leaders who are keen to minimise school exclusions will explore a wide range of practical strategies for doing so during this course. You’ll gain a deep and thorough understanding of the issues that drive up exclusions nationally, locally and within your school. You’ll consider how you can begin tackling these tomorrow to see rapid impact; whilst also considering the long-term planning, structures and strategies that need to be in place to see a long-term reduction in the number of exclusions in your school.
- Engage with key stakeholders to carry out a 360º audit of your existing practice
- Explore a range of proven practical strategies
- Develop and implement a practical action plan
- Recognise and respond to challenges with implementation
- Chart success, share what’s worked well and learn from what hasn’t
- Understanding what drives exclusions nationally and locally
- Understanding who is at risk of exclusion and why
- Establishing policies, procedures, structures and strategies that work for you
- Increase staff skills and confidence in creating an inclusive culture and ethos
- 6 Ideas for meeting the needs of pupils at risk of exclusion
Format & Content
This course takes place over a 4 month period during which you’ll be led through the live, on demand and project based learning by an expert lead. The course consists of three parts, with each part being made up of one live webinar, a series of on demand learning sessions and some assignments or projects for you to carry out in your school or college.
Part One: What are the Issues? Defining the Problem
You’ll audit your current provision and practice and really get to grips with understanding the nature of the need for change as well as taking some baseline measures from which you can chart your progress.
- On-Demand: Getting the views of stakeholders
- Task: Complete our audit tool
- Webinar: Share findings from audit tool and prepare for next stage
Part Two: Identifying the Solution
It’s only when we really understand what needs to improve that we can go about implementing relevant strategies that will result in sustainable change. In the context of what you’ve learnt about the strengths and challenges in your school and college, you’ll explore a range of proven strategies and consider how some of these may be adapted to meet your needs.
- On-Demand: Why some children struggle to come to school and common misconceptions
- On-Demand: Working with the family on achievable, child-driven goals
- On-Demand: Developing child-centred action plans tailored to individual need
- On-Demand: Creating a warm and caring culture that reduces risk of school-based anxiety
- On-Demand: 6 Practical ideas for supporting anxious students as they arrive at school
- On-Demand: Managing change and how to get people on board
- On Demand: Evaluating impact
- Webinar: Share what you plan to do
Part Three: Implementing and Evaluation
You’ll consider how you can measure success and then you’ll develop and begin to implement an action plan working towards short, medium and long term goals. You’ll consider carefully what obstacles and blockages you might encounter and how these might be overcome as well as exploring how to bring others along on the journey and how best to disseminate, replicate and roll out what works well.
- On-Demand: How to share and disseminate
- Task: Write a case study
- Webinar: Share successes and next steps